Have you ever wondered how to start a blog? Long before Raychel and I started working together, we each had a blog. It was the best way to practice our writing skills and share our messages with the world. Through the years, we have had many blogs. Many websites for that matter. (In fact, this podcast is actually hosted on a blog platform!) We’ve tried them on, given them makeovers, made money from them, neglected them a bit, worked tirelessly to revive them, and fallen in love with them again.
Many people are scared to start a website or blog – not us! That’s why we want to help you start your first blog. Or, website. They are one in the same really. And the truth is, if there’s a burning in your heart to start your first blog and you can’t get away from it, then Darling – it’s time to just do it! Luckily, we’re here to help.
How To Start Your First Blog
Step 1: Choose a website domain name. (a.k.a. a URL)
- Use your personal name, pen name, or business name as your domain. Examples: www.rayamteam.com; www.raychelperman.com;www.mandybanderson.com
- We highly suggest that you get your domain directly from godaddy.com to avoid any issues if you switch hosting sites in the future.
Step 2: Choose a hosting site.
Some of our favorites through the years have included: bluehost, godaddy, kajabi, or domainspricedright.
Step 3: Set up your website on your desired platform
We recommend the following over any others:
- WordPress (best for blogs. Also the best for SEO and Google purposes)
- Kajabi(best for online courses and programs)
- Shopify(best for online stores
Step 4: Set Up a Navigation Menu (examples):
- Check out www.raymateam.com, mandybanderson.com, and raychelperman.com for other navigation menu examples
Steps 5-7 in this order:
- Brainstorm blog topics
- Start writing
- Publish your first blog and share it with the world!
- Make your own photos using Canva or WordSwag!
- Use social media widgets to grow your social media following
- Invest in an email content management system so you can offer an opt-in for people to get on your email list. If you use Kajabi, there is a built in email system that we really enjoy.
- Set up a schedule of updating content on your website and be diligent. This is best set up in the form of weekly blogposts, but it is not needed. No matter what you choose to do, make sure you check in on your admin area of your site weekly so you don’t miss important updates that keep it running efficiently.
Becoming a writer and sharing your message with the world works BEST when you have a community of people to support you, such as mentors to help you along the way and like-minded women to cheer you on! That’s why we want to invite you to join us in our upcoming online workshop…
Step Into The Shoes Of A Successful Woman by Registering For Our FREE Virtual Workshop!
Join us March 15th – 19th at 11am central time each day to discover the essential leadership skills you need to cultivate success in your life, leadership, and career in 2021! Register at https://www.raymateam.com/scswmarch2021. We can’t wait to work with you!
Connect with Mandy & Raychel:
Hey guys, thanks again for listening! Before you go, would you mind doing us a favor? We would love to hear your takeaways, so leave a review and a comment! You might just hear your name in a future episode when you do! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcast and leave your review. You can binge all past episodes here.
Connect with us on Instagram! Follow @shewhoovercomespodcast for inspiring podcast posts and to find our personal accounts.
Mandy B. Anderson and Raychel Perman are the Co-Founders of RAYMA Team, LLC. RAYMA Team, LLC is a women owned business that equips women with leadership skills to overcome obstacles in their life and career. They offer group coaching programs, leadership and workplace training, private coaching, speaking services, as well as free resources on their website. Learn how to work with them at https://www.raymateam.com/services.